Monday, July 25, 2011

23 July - Latrobe Valley Floods


Parts of the Latrobe Valley, and specifically Traralgon experienced major flooding over the past couple of days. The Traralgon Creek marched towards us along Franklin Street to a point about 100m from our front door. Our house was not threatened in any way because it is located some distance above the roadway but it certainly looked impressive. Late Thursday we received phone and text messages warning us of possible evacuation and at about 2:30 in the morning we were wakened by a police woman knocking on the front door advising we should consider evacuating. As the water was nowhere near where we had seen it on previous highs we went back to bed. When we awoke all the water was gone.

This morning it was cool but fine so I took the bike out for a look at other possible flood locations. This picture was taken of the Latrobe River near Thom's Bridge - flooding here was quite extensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If your comment is a request requiring action from me, please send me an email on the link provided. While I check my current posting for comments, my blog software does not notify me when comments/requests come in on past posts.