Monday, March 10, 2014

9 March - The Dandenongs

For me, and I know for a number of my motorcycling friends, the logistics of a ride and the destination  are related directly to the choice of where to eat and drink coffee. Certainly I always decide the destination first and then work out the most interesting way to ride there.
Today the cafe of choice was the Cafe de Beaumarchais in Sassafras. This little bit of Paris in the Dandenongs sits unassumingly a few doors from the more ostentatious Miss Marples Tearooms and leaves its neighbouring competitor for dead in terms of quality, atmosphere and service.

I rode along the Princes Highway via Pakenham and Belgrave and found Sassafras booming with visitors, but you can alway sneak a motorcycle in somewhere and I found that as a solitary patron I was able to claim a little corner for myself and ordered the Apple and Rhubarb Crumble and a latè.

This mouthwatering delicacy was served with a small dish of double cream and of course the coffee was outstanding. For anyone visiting the Dandenongs I would recommend Cafe de Beaumarchais enthusiastically - if you can get in.

I resisted the temptation to try a second pastry and headed off for the return journey on the Beemer via Lilydale, Yarra Junction, Powelltown and Noojee. A beautiful ride through the mountains and the forests and altogether a great day.

Total Distance 325 km

2 comments:

  1. Cheers! Another cafe to add to my list of "must do" cafe's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a good place! I know what you mean about cafes. Trying to find a place that serves good coffee is not easy. I recently found a retro motorcycle shop out in the sticks a bit but the coffee is gorgeous ( http://www.foundrymotorcycle.co.uk/wp/ ). Just wish they did cakes too! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete

If your comment is a request requiring action from me, please send me an email on the link provided. While I check my current posting for comments, my blog software does not notify me when comments/requests come in on past posts.